Thursday, March 20, 2008

We Stood Together for Peace

Today passed much like any other day for me. I went to work, opened the shop and talked with people who came in. Great people. Today was not different than most other days. Yet today was the 5th anniversary of the United States invading Iraq.

I’ve never been really interested in politics. Never kept up with it, even when it was important to do so. I’m not proud of that part. It always seemed beyond my own scope, somehow. But these recent years are different. Maybe it’s because I’m older. Life becomes so valuable as one ages and watches the ones we love pass on to the next life. Faith gets us through that, if we are people of Faith. If not, I have no idea how people deal with the death of loved ones.

Death has made me much more sensitive and appreciative of life. I value it now, more than ever. Part of that is coming to terms with death, and preparing for my own as much as possible, again in the context of my deep Faith that life changes but does not end.

However, while we are here, it is precious, and no life is less precious than another. None. The horror of war is evil enough when unavoidable, but when it happens because of lies and greed it is difficult to wrap my mind around it. When businesses have more to say about our nation’s foreign policies than elected officials and the voters, and unelected officials ignore voters, and elected officials give the power of war away to a "king" as has happened, I find I can’t ignore national politics any longer, and must be aware, much more aware than ever. It’s become a moral imperative for me. Why? Well, today I read the current figure, 5 years into the war, that 3,990 of our military have been killed for this greed, obeying in sincerity the greedy who have gotten us into this disgraceful moment of history. I also read today that 1,189,000 + Iraqi civilians (that’s a million plus, folks) have been killed in this war. One in four Iraqis are homeless now, displaced is the term used.

It’s far away. For those of us who have nobody in the military or working with the military there it might be easy to forget. For those with loved ones there it is impossible. How long, I wonder, will we fool ourselves about all the reasons for this war? When will the nation demand accountability from our government, and especially our president/king? When will we have the courage to face the fact that this all has been based upon one lie after another?

I don’t know the answers. Tonight I witnessed a few neighbors standing together in the rain on the corner of Main Street, Stroudsburg, with candles in hand remembering the dead. Where were all the others?? Where were those who want the war to end now? Who want the troops home but not in body bags? Where were they?

It was raining on us tonight. I guess the rain made people stay home because I’m sure they don’t want more death and more body bags. It must have been the rain.

Next year, on that anniversary, I hope there are a few more with us to speak out to the king! There will be a much larger number of dead.



No comments: